The STL Services Property Manager Portal

  • Guiding you through the required licensing law and requirements for Short Term Lets
  • Access to the STL Property Manager Portal
  • Advice on Health and safety requirements
  • Over 15 years’ experience helping holiday home owners with local services
  • Provides a truly personalised service with on-going local support – no impersonal call centres to grapple with.
  • Working from our office base in the Highlands.
  • A cost effective solution to help you with licencing & safety requirements
Working with STL Owners for compliance for their listings on the major holiday lettings platforms including…
airbnb Vrbo Tripadvisor Visit Scotland Sykes Holiday Cottages Gael Holiday Homes

Helping property owners for over 15 years

What we do…

  • Personalised Services tailored for your property to assist you in meeting your obligations for safety and legal compliance per The Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Short-term Lets) Order 2022.
  • Provide access to our portal with information on requirements for licencing, templates for risk assessments, date reminders to renew EICR, PAT Testing, Gas Safety certificates, EPC, etc.
  • We ensure peace of mind by providing full advice on safety and compliance for Short Term Lets

For Owners wishing to self manage properties…

  • We offer a set up service for short term letting licencing and compliance
  • Connecting you to housekeepers & caretakers
  • Advising to maximising rental rates & income
  • Tax, finance, council tax , non-domestic rates & insurance information
  • Compliance & safety – risk assessment templates
  • Property set up including furniture & furnishings advice

Once set up we can provide…

  • Access to our Property Manager Assistant Portal
  • Assistance with marketing across the largest channels
  • Assistance with rates and market information
  • Assistance connecting you with trades

So, how do I get the ball rolling?

Get in touch

Call us on 01349 410120 or fill out our enquiry form via the button below

Arrange a viewing or zoom meeting

For a helpful, friendly, no obligation chat

Peace of mind you are operating safely and legally

Working with you for licencing and compliance requirements


+Do I need a licence to operate a short term holiday let property?

Yes – For owners operating prior to October 2022, they can continue to operate but must apply for a licence before October 2023. They must adhere to the licensing requirements while operating. For owners not operating a short term let prior to October 2022 they must gain a licence before taking any bookings. It is a criminal offence to operate out with these conditions.

+What do I need for a licence application?

Licensing has mandatory elements, set by the Scottish Government, and additional conditions laid out by the local authority.
The main items required by Highland Council are:
1. Floor plans – For an assessment of the maximum number of guests that can be accommodated safely. The floor plans should include reference to: Room sizes, fire escape routes, accommodation intended for guests with mobility impairment, smoke and heat detector locations and carbon monoxide detectors (if an open flued appliance is fitted).
2. Site plan – A site plan, including boundaries, ideally to a scale of 1:500.
3. Fire Safety Checklist provided by the SFRS – Ensure you have an appropriate fire risk safety assessment in place for your property.
4. Electrical Installation Conditions (EICR) report – The report must be dated within the last 5 years.
5. PAT testing report – on all appliances regardless of age.
6. Gas Safety inspection certificate – Does not apply to properties that have no gas installation.
7. Legionella Risk Assessment
8. Public liability insurance
9. Building and contents insurance
10. Booking and payment details from customers – To demonstrate that you are an existing short-term let business. Does not apply to properties which started operating from 1 October 2022. Existing operators should provide evidence of previous booking dates and confirmation or receipt of payments for these bookings.
We are able to assist owners with compliance requirements.

+How can be sure I comply?

The Short Term Lets Services Portal provides information on requirements, templates for risk assessments and reminders when annual or time based renewals are required.

+Do all properties need a licence?

The vast majority of properties do, whether it’s a house, cottage, apartment, log cabin, yurt, pod, static caravan, B&B, Guest House to mention some of the property types.

+Can Short Term Lets Services apply for a licence on my behalf?

The Owner of the property is usually licenced operator however Short Term Lets Services can assist you with obtaining a licence by applying on your behalf.

+If I’m not ready to start letting until after October 2022 can I operate whilst waiting for a licence application to be processed?

No – after October 2022 all new operators must apply for a licence and wait until this is approved before starting to take bookings.

+Do I need planning permission to operate a short term let?

Each local authority may create a ‘rental control area’. If so each licence application will also require the property owner to apply for planning permission ‘change of use’ prior to applying for a licence. You do not need to evidence planning permission as part of your initial licensing application. Flats may also be required to apply for change of use as these are not considered dwellinghouses under planning legislation.